With Rogue One available to watch at home and the Han Solo movie currently in production, there is much speculation about what the third standalone Star Wars spinoff might be. Now Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy has stated that it could be announced very soon.
Speaking to MTV at this weekend’s Star Wars Celebration, Kennedy wouldn’t commit to a timeline, but did state that they were “very close” to an announcement. “My hope would be sometime around the summer,” she said. “I never want to predict the creative process because it is its own thing, so we’re in the midst of those discussions right now.”
While it is unknown what the next spinoff might focus on, last year it was reported that the studio was close to announcing a Boba Fett movie in 2015. Fantastic Four director Josh Trank was initially hired to helm the film, and a teaser was even intended to be screened at 2015’s Celebration. However, Trank ultimately left the project and no further announcements have been made since.
In the same MTV interview, Kennedy explained that the current storyline of the Star Wars Saga movies will wrap up after Episode IX, which is due in 2019. “There’s no question that this is set up as a trilogy and that three-act structure of the set-up, the conflict, and the resolution very much is what we have planned,” she said.
The first teaser for the next Saga movie, The Last Jedi, was released at Celebration. You can watch it here, or check out this trailer breakdown. The movie hits theaters on December 15, 2017.